Monday, July 16, 2012

Have you been conquered by Mexican food?

Taco USA: How Mexican Food Conquered America


I sometimes feel that I've been conquered by Mexican food, although I still eat ketchup on everything. I think I could eat some form of Mexican food at every meal.

So I was surprised and pleased to find this book by Gustavo Arellano which talks about the history of Mexican food and how it crossed the border.

This book came out in April of this year and is an interesting read. Arellano is a nationally syndicated columnist and bestselling author. He takes the reader through the history and culture of Mexican food in this country, including Taco Bell!

According to the book, Americans have slowly been taken over by Mexican fare since the 1880s, as they are inundated with chili, tamales, tacos, enchiladas, tequila, and many other foods from south of the border. we seem to be happy as each decade brings more and different types of spicy Mexican eats to us.

We consume billions of dollars worth of this food every year. Arellano's books explains how this came about and has some funny anecdotes to go with it.

I enjoyed reading this, and I think you will too, if you enjoy Mexican food!

Happy Summer Taco Eating!

Joyce Lavene
www.joyceandjimlavene.com
www.facebook.com/joyceandjimlavene
Twitter: @author54
 

No comments: