Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Is Oatmeal the new Kale?

Kale is hot! To be more accurate, it's hot, steamed, roasted, toasted, covered in chocolate and blended into  smoothies. For quite some time, Kale has been celebrated for its versatility and health benefits.

Although we have always know that oatmeal is a healthy food, it seems like it has recently become a really cool thing to eat. Used to be, the word "oatmeal" conjured up images of a round box with a smiling Quaker. The image was wholesome and pure.

Then, the instant, flavored oatmeal in pouches became popular. Varieties such as apple-cinnamon and maple-brown-sugar made for a satisfying, quick, hot breakfast.

Now, we are hearing about Scottish Oatmeal, Irish Oatmeal, steel-cut Oatmeal, even savory oatmeal dishes (cooked in chicken broth, with spices and vegetables added).If you are over-the-top cool, add Kale.

McDonalds is on the oatmeal train with their fruit-topped oatmeal to go, which I hear is delicious! Oatmeal is so popular that it now has its own month. Yes, January is National Oatmeal Month.

My pantry is never without a box of rolled oats and pouches of the flavored stuff. My latest oatmeal purchase is a box of Scottish Oatmeal. I find it to be a little chewier and heartier than any other oatmeal I have tried.

Last week, after watching, Braveheart for the first time, I imagined Mel Gibson and his warrior comrades eating Scottish oatmeal for breakfast. It seems like the kind of warm, stick-to-your-ribs breakfast that could take the chill off a foggy morning in the Scottish highlands, and sustain men through hours of bloody battle.

 Before I digress so much that this post becomes as crazy as a rant from the afore mentioned Mel Gibson, I will share a delicious and simple idea for an oatmeal bar:

 Use your favorite preparation method and favorite variety of oatmeal. Set out any or all of the follwing oatmeal toppings:
dried fruit, fresh berries, chopped apples, diced peaches, cinnamon, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, toasted coconut, chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts, flax seed, vanilla yogurt 




     

1 comment:

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Gee, I guess I was ahead of my time. I've always loved oatmeal and kale. (Um, not together, though...)