Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Hum Not of Pooh

Hummus, that is. Although Pooh might have eaten hummus, if it was put before him.

I've never been madly keen about hummus, to tell you the truth, so I thought I'd make some myself. Sometimes, if I make something personally, I come to like it. Maybe it's the locavore in me, but I seem to take kindlier to food if I've gone backstage and met all the ingredients before the show.

ANYWAY, hummus is made from chickpeas (garbanzo beans), olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, tahini (sesame seed paste) and a little salt. Here is a link to a recipe for hummus at the wonderful Middle Eastern Food at About.com.

And here is mine:

HUMMUS OF MA
  • can of chickpeas, drained 
  • 2 Tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • pinch of cilantro
  • pinch of salt
You'll notice I neglected to reserve liquid from the chickpeas. That's because these weren't organic chickpeas, and the liquid was full of like corn syrup and junk. I also didn't use as much lemon juice as About.com recommends, because enough is enough.

Put all ingredients into blender and blend until as smooth as you like. I left mine with some bite in it.

Because I didn't put the liquid into it, my hummus was stiff instead of creamy. Next time, I might put some liquid in, or I might not. I kinda liked it the way it came out. In fact, I probably could have rolled it into balls or shaped it into patties, breaded it and fried it. That would have been good!

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

1 comment:

anthony stemke said...

Very nice, easy to make and delicioous hummus. Yes, smart to rinse the peas first.
I laugh when I see hummus in plastic bowls in the cheese section because thet are priced at over five dollars for less than a pound.
Way to go Marian.
These characters you have to type in are hard to read. Oy!