Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My New Fave Snackie

Kale chips. I heard about these several months ago, and I made something similar by accident when I roasted some bok choi and the greens part went all brittle, so this isn't exactly a Revelation From On High.

I suppose you can use any thin leafy green. You can even slice potatoes, sweet potatoes or other fat veg really thin and do this. But this post is about the kale.

KALE CHIPS
  • fresh kale greens
  • oil
  • salt
Tear the greens off the stems in small-ish pieces. Toss the greens with just enough salted oil to lightly coat them. You can use different oils and add different herbs and spices for different flavors.

If you have time or can wait, bake them at 325 for 20 minutes or longer, until they dry out and crisp up. I baked mine at 450 for maybe 10 minutes, and they scorched.

Still good, though!

One caveat (caveat = warning, for those who don't happen to know -- my mind is FULL of things that other people don't know and don't care to know): These are as full of fiber as any other kind of kale, so don't overeat them. Word to the wise. Just sayin'.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

2 comments:

Lisa Hall said...

Very wise to give warning! My kids love kale. It's great that they love something so healthy, not so great to give them a large serving!

mike said...

Brilliant blog post. You have gained a brand-new fan. Pls keep them coming and I look forward to more of your interesting blog posts. I think it is definitely a good bet. You cannot go wrong with this. kidney stone treatment