Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hummus on the Hoof

Originally, "on the hoof" meant "a live animal". If you paid a rancher X dollars for Y pounds of meat, you needed to know if that was Y pounds after it was dressed out or Y pounds while it was still alive, with all its inedible bits still on and adding to the weight.

It has come to mean "without preparation", as in, "I forgot I had to do an oral book report today, so I just got up and did it on the hoof."

In the case of the title of this post, it means.... Well, here's a recipe for hummus, given to me by writer friend T. Lee Harris:

Garlic Lovers' Hummus
By T. Lee Harris
  • 2 C. (One 15oz can) chick peas, drained
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed (Less or more to taste)
  • 3 Tbsp. (Approx.) tahini, (sesame paste) *
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Put chick peas, garlic, herbs and olive oil in food processor and pulse
to make a paste. Add lemon juice and process thoroughly until smooth.
Add more lemon juice a little at a time if the mixture is too dry. When
it's well mixed and smooth, add a little of the tahini at a time until
the hummus thickens to the desired texture. Add salt and pepper to
taste. Place in a bowl, garnish with chopped onion, chive, cilantro or
the like and you're ready to go.

* Tahini = 4 parts sesame seeds to 1/4-1/2 part sesame oil
(scant 3 Tbs sesame seeds + 1 tsp sesame oil = approximately 3 Tbs)

------------------------------------
I didn't have any tahini and I didn't have a lemon, but I had half a lime. I also have sage growing right outside my back door, and I like it, too. I'm not madly keen about hummus, on the whole, to tell you the truth, but we do like chick peas. So this is what I did:

Hummus On The Hoof
By Miss Lazybutt
  • 1 can chick peas, drained
  • 1 cup frozen spinach, defrosted and squozerized squishened water pressed out of it
  • 1 teaspoon or so of garlic-infused olive oil
  • dash of sesame oil
  • juice of half a lime
  • fresh sage leaves or dried sage
  • salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oils. Put everything but the lime juice into the pan and stir until everything is coated with oil and hot. Put into a bowl and dress with lime juice and salt and pepper.

No comments: