Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Dioramas: Magic in a Box










It is so great when kids get excited about reading. I am so pleased with the tremendous efforts made by my daughter's school to promote this excitement. One of the most recent events was a school-wide media fair.



Students were encouraged to do a project based on their favorite book. Calli chose to do a diorama. When I was a kid, dioramas just fascinated me. I could get lost looking at those magical works of art created inside of a shoebox. It was like looking inside those beautiful Easter eggs with a scene inside of them. If a potion would have been available, I think I would have drank it to become really tiny so that I could have become part of those scenes. Maybe I read to much Alice in Wonderland, but it sounded thrilling to me!



Calli chose (with, I promise, no coaxing from me) to do a scene from my upcoming book, Burton the Sneezing Cow. The project was termed "family involvement" so parents were allowed to assist. With my glue gun and Calli's expertise with modeling clay, I think we came up with a pretty cute project!



All of the projects were on display at the school's Media Fair that was held in the gym one evening. Tons of parents and grandparents turned out to see what the kids had done. It was a huge success. Kudos to Calli's school!

1 comment:

mike said...

Where else could anyone get that kind of info written in such a perfect way? I have a presentation that I am presently working on, and I have been on the look out for such information. kidney stone