Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Couple of Ash Wednesday Questions



This Ash Wednesday morning, I woke up 2 questions on my mind:


1) How does the baby get into the King Cake?

2) What will I give up for Lent?




I was wondering if the baby was baked into the King Cake, or was placed inside after baking. What perplexed me was how the cake could be baked without either melting the baby or releasing toxins. This morning, I sought to answer this question.



The first site I hit upon was a funny animation of the baby crawling into the King Cake. Knowing that could not actually happen, I took my search a bit further. Common sense was leading me to think that the baby was most likely inserted after baking. My thought was verified by a King Cake recipe I found. Turns out that baby is placed inside the cake while the cake is still warm. Then the cake is decorated, with special care taken to conceal the spot where the baby was inserted.



Onto question number two. Last year, I cut back on my Diet Coke consumption for Lent. As of yesterday afternoon my plan was to cut it back even more for this year's Lent. Then, I realized that there was a more toxic thing in my life than the Diet Coke. There is a negative situation that I have no control over. I worry about it, lose sleep over it and generally give it way too much time and energy. I am giving it up for Lent and putting it out of my mind.



So, I will spend the next forty days enjoying, but not completely cutting out my Diet Cokes and thinking about positive things! What are you giving up for Lent?

1 comment:

Marian Allen said...

Same thing I give up every year: moderation.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes