Holly Clegg's latest Trim & Terrific cookbook is called Too Hot in the Kitchen, and she offers this sample recipe on her site that my husband would love. His birthday is in May, and I'm thinking this just might be his birthday cake.
Quick Italian Cream Cake
1(18.25-ounce) box Butter Pecan Cake mix
1/3 cup canola oil
2 egg whites
1 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup flaked coconut
Cream Cheese Icing (recipe follows)
Toasted coconut and pecans, optional (about 2 tablespoons each)
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Coat three 9-inch pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, oil, eggs, egg whites, water and coconut extract. Stir in pecans and coconut.
3. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 12-15 minutes, until tops spring back when touched. Cool 10 minutes and turn out onto cooling racks.
4. Frost layers and sides with Cream Cheese Icing (see recipe) and sprinkle with toasted coconut and pecans, if desired.
Cream Cheese Icing
The ultimate rich icing.
1 (8-ounce) package reduced- fat cream cheese
3 tablespoons butter
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add confectioners sugar, mixing until light. Add vanilla.
Calories from fat 38%
Saturated Fat 4g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Dietary Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
For more of Holly's recipes, visit her at http://www.hollyclegg.com. All her recipes feature the food facts option you see below the recipe.