Sunday, January 22, 2012

Island Food



By Vicki
My children do get around. A couple of weeks ago I wrote about my trip to South Sudan to visit eldest daughter. Right now I am in Turks and Caicos visiting youngest daughter who is working here on a contract.

What a fabulous Island. Small and quiet. This has got to be the perfect writers retreat. Except I won’t be writing today, I’m off to the beach.
We went out snorkelling and diving for conch. Here’s a picture of me and my catch. The boat captain then made a delicious salad of the conch for us to eat on the beach.

Perfect.

The next day we took the Ferry over to Middle and North Caicos Islands (totally unspoiled, barely inhabited). We had lunch at Daniels CafĂ©, a perfect beach shack. I had freshly caught snapper, shown here. Youngest daughter doesn’t eat fish. Hard to believe, isn’t it, particularly for someone living here. She had fried chicken, which she pronounced as excellent.






It's a tough life, but someone has to do it.

1 comment:

Marian Allen said...

~groan~

I'm still jonesing for Tybee Island, and we didn't even have somebody to help us catch and cook super-fresh fruits de mer. What a foodie dream!

Thanks for sharing the experience. I especially love the empty plate. :D

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes