Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Go Big Orange!

I know a dish is good when everyone asks for the recipe. That happened to me last weekend when I made my Big Orange Cupcakes for a baby shower. The name comes from the orange flavor and the fact that mine are served in University of Tennessee Big Orange country. Our blood runs orange around here, ya know!
I use a box of orange flavored cake mix. There are two variations I make to the basic ingredients: 1) 1 1/3 cups of water becomes 1 cup of water and 1/3 cup of fresh sqeezed orange juice. 2) I whisk my eggs before they are added to the batter.

For the frosting:
1) Stir together canned buttercream and cream cheese frostings. 2) Add about 1 teaspon each of orange extract and fresh squeezed orange juice. 3) Add about 2 teaspoons of orange zest. 4) Stir frosting ingredients until well combined.

Garnish: pieces of orange slice candies

No comments: