Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Gluten-Free Party Snack

Please tell me the party season is over for a while. It is? Oh, thank you!

I love parties and I love party food, but enough already. A new facet (for me) to the challenge of making food for a crowd is the increasing number of friends and family with food allergies or restrictions.

Although this recipe wouldn't be considered clean for the strictest vegans, it's gluten-free and, really, mostly vegan.

These are like Muddy Buddies, but they don't have peanut butter in them (peanut allergies for some folks), so I call them:

Snowy Buddies
  • Rice Chex
  • Corn Chex
  • candied pineapple, cut or broken in little bits
  • chocolate chips
  • walnuts - omit, in case of walnut allergies
  • pecans - omit, in case of pecan allergies
  • white (vanilla) chocolate bark candy squares
  • powdered sugar
Mix everything but candy squares and powdered sugar. Melt candy, being careful not to scorch it. Pour over mixture, stirring to coat everything thoroughly. Add powdered sugar, stirring with hands to coat everything. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container.

If you want to get fatal about it, of course, just pulverize some of the nuts your character (you know I'm talking about characters in stories, right?) is allergic to and mix the powder in with the sugar.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

2 comments:

Lisa Hall said...

Sounds good! I need to pass this along to a couple of friends who have kids who are on gluten-free diets.

Marian Allen said...

It's SO good! The Chex cereal boxes have lots of snack recipes on them. The lemon one sounded yummy, but I had this white chocolate lying around calling my name, so I made up my own dang recipe. ;)