Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Buttering Parsnips

Fair words butter no parsnips, the saying goes, meaning that flattery will get you nothing. The earliest use of that saying, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is 1639.

I buttered no parsnips, either, until this year, because I am, as you may know, Little Miss Picky. In my continual pursuit of more culinary delight, however, I bit the bullet and the parsnip and tried one.

Oh, how I rue the many years (never mind how many) I've lived in ignorance of the bliss of this delicious vegetable! Vegetarians in Paradise tried to tell me, and now I know they spoke the truth! (The picture accompanying this post is from that site.)

Parsnips look like albino carrots, and they taste kind of carroty, too, which isn't surprising, since they're in the carrot family.

Peel them, dice or slice them, boil them until tender and then do, oh do, butter them. You'll be glad you did.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

3 comments:

Gayle said...

I have never eaten a parsnip. I'm not sure I've ever even seen them in the store. I'll have to check those out, Marian! :)

Marian Allen said...

I hope you like them as much as we do. :)

MA

Donis Casey said...

I adore parsnips. I like to slice them thin and pan fry them. Then butter them, of course.