Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Vegamole

We had a birthday party the other day, and one of the guests (#2 daughter) is vegan. Ever since we read Jonathan Safran Foer's EATING ANIMALS, we've all been a little squeamish about meat and dairy. We have eggs from happy, pampered chickens (really--I mean really REALLY), but not dairy, so Charlie uses organic milk and I use almond milk (although the way pollinating bees are abused makes even that iffy for a bee-head, which I am).

ANYWAY, I made bread (flour, water, salt and yeast) #2 daughter will eat. And I thought I'd make guacamole. It's naturally vegan.

Guacamole
  • avocado
  • salsa
  • lime
Mash up the avocado, squeeze in juice from the lime, stir in the salsa. You can, of course, not use prepared salsa and add fresh tomatoes, cilantro and spices, but it's past fresh tomato season, and I don't do grocery 'maters.

Tell you what--it felt like it wanted something else. So I mashed up some silken tofu and stirred that in, and it added a creaminess that everybody really liked.

If you want some really good vegan recipes, you can't go wrong with the web site Vegans Eat Pencil Shavings. Mr. Pig and Mrs. Cow and their friends, the Chicken family, will thank you for it.

Marian Allen
who is not entirely vegan or even vegetarian yet
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

2 comments:

Miss Jenny said...

Thanks so much for the mention on your awesome blog! Great photos too :)

Marian Allen said...

No, Miss Jenny, YOUR blog is awesome! YOURS is! And your photos, too. LOVE your recipes. :)

MA