Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Good Sammich That Sounds Yuck

My first realization that I could edge closer to vegetarianism came when I ate the best bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich of my life, then discovered I had forgotten to put the bacon on.

So, when I got a craving for a pastrami sammich the other day, I made this:

PASTRAMI SANDWICH WITHOUT THE PASTRAMI
  • rye bread
  • Swiss cheese
  • mayonnaise
  • dill pickle slices
  • pepper
  • butter or margarine (optional)
Make a sandwich of everything except the butter or margarine. If you're grilling the sandwich in a skillet, melt the butter and grill on both sides until as brown and crispy as you like. If you're using a sandwich press, press that sandwich.

Okay, now, I make my own pickles and my own mayonnaise, I use fresh-ground pepper, and I buy middlin' expensive Swiss cheese and deli rye. All that probably goes a long way to making this a good sandwich. A REALLY good sandwich.

BONUS:  If you tell somebody you had a sandwich of Swiss cheese, pickles and mayonnaise, they're almost guaranteed to go Ewwww!

Making your own mayonnaise is super easy, if you have access to farm-fresh eggs and a food processor or blender.

MAYONNAISE
  • 1 egg
  • 1 to 2 TBS lemon juice
  • 1/4 or more ground mustard to taste
  • 1/4 or more salt to taste
  • 1/4 cup salad oil (I use canola oil)
  • 3/4 cup salad oil
Put the first 5 ingredients into the blender and process for about 5 seconds, until it's good and blended. While the processor is running, in a thin stream about the thickness of a pencil lead, drizzle the remaining 3/4 cup of oil into the liquid. It will thicken, the more oil you put in! It's like magic!

You can fiddle with the lemon juice amount or substitute vinegar, vary the salad oil flavor, add spices or herbs, but we just like it the way I have it here, with maybe 1 1/2 TBS lemon juice to make it kind of punchy.

Enjoy!

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

2 comments:

anthony stemke said...

testing; cookies null.

anthony stemke said...

Funny just today we were at a chinese restaurant and my spouse, the Education Tipster, ordered a shrimp and chicken dish. I asked for the veg Buddha's Delight.
The colours of my vegetavles were so vibrant.
My BW's shrimp and chicken dish had the same vegetables, so your idea is not so strange.
Like your mayo too.

Sh Sh Sh Let the Baby Sleep
Trouble on Earth Day
Author Kathy Stemke (my spouse)