Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Spreading the Buzz

Knowing me, you'd think this post would turn out to be about bees, wouldn't you? But it isn't.

Well, I can take a moment to share a conversation I had with a nephew this weekend. He's just started beekeeping, and he said he has Welfare Bees: He's giving them sugar and pollen supplements and trying to guard them from disease and pests, and the result is bound to be weaker bees. If pressed, he would have backed away from saying that vulnerable PEOPLE should be left to die and skimmed out of the gene pool. I mention the conversation because it's important for writers (and readers) to consider the implications of word use.

But, less seriously, the buzz I'm talking about is the buzz about Terry Pratchett's coming Discworld Ankh-Morpork board game. It's due out this month, and I'm hoping it's within my budget because I wants it! It's mine! It's my birthday present, my Precious! *Ahem*

And the fatal part? Well, if you're ever in Ankh-Morpork, don't buy a sausage inna bun from Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler. And, if you value your liver, lights and life, don't drink the water.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: