Saturday, August 20, 2011

Wine and Mystery with Ellen Crosby


Wednesday night I toodled up to the iconic Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale, AZ, to see mystery writer Ellen Crosby, who is touring with her sixth Lucie Montgomery wine mystery, The Sauvignon Secret. I was not familiar with Ellen’s work before this week, but my editor, who also happens to be the owner of the Poisoned Pen, suggested that I’d like her.

Ellen was a freelance journalist in the US and London, Moscow, and Geneva, Switzerland, and most recently a freelance regional feature writer for The Washington Post. She now lives northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C. and writes mysteries set on a 500 acre farm and vineyard located at the foothills of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains which has belonged to Lucie Montgomery's family since colonial days.

As I listened to Ellen and Barbara Peters talk about the incredible world of wine, I was overcome with a burning desire to take a trip to Sonoma and the Napa Valley, to fly to Budapest and sample rare Hungarian Tokay wines, or Australia,Chile, South Africa... Never mind France! I also learned from Ellen that every state in the union now produces local vintages--a practice that has taken off in the past few years due to the locavore movement. (Skeptical, I looked up wineries in Oklahoma. Sure enough!)

I bought one of Ellen’s books and tore right into it.


Now go have a glass of Pinot and watch Sideways.

No comments: