Saturday, August 27, 2011

Watermelon Pudding















I am always experimenting with recipes. I do it mostly because I'm looking for something good to put in my books, but partly because I love that kind of thing. Last Wednesday, I saw a recipe in my local newspaper for a watermelon pie, and I just had to try it. I'm here today to report the results.

The newspaper recipe calls for a graham cracker crust, which would be delicious, I think. But my husband can't eat graham flour, so I just made the filling--basically a watermelon pudding. It was amazingly easy. The hardest parts were cutting and chunking the watermelon and cleaning up the mess. Otherwise, it took about twenty minutes to make. Here is the recipe as I did it:

2 1/2 cups watermelon flesh
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
whipped cream

Puree the watermelon in a blender until completely smooth. (about 2 cups of juice) Strain the juice through a fine-mesh strainer into a saucepan and add the lemon juice. Bring the juice to a simmer over medium-high heat.

In a heat-safe bowl, whisk together eggs, cornstarch, and sugar until smooth. Slowly pour the hot juice into the egg mixture, whisking all the while. Then pour the mixture back into the saucepan and continue to cook, whisking until thickened. Pour the watermelon pudding into a pie pan (or even better, graham cracker pie crust), press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding and refrigerate until cold. Serve with whipped cream.

The verdict: I don't care how odd it looks, it's delicious!

No comments: