Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Run Through The Jungle

Last Wednesday, I went on a road trip to Cincinnati, Ohio (The Queen City of the West). Yes, I know Cincinnati is fairly far east, but it used to be west, before American settlement spread beyond it.

ANYWAY, one of the places we went was to Jungle Jim's International Market. After the tour, I hit the Asian section pretty hard. One of the things I wanted to get was miso. Miso is fermented soybean paste. (Hush, Mom--I can hear you going "Ewwwww!" all the way from your house. Did you have fried chicken embryos for supper last night?)

Now, if everybody's through interrupting me, may I continue? Thank you.

Once I found the miso, I was faced with a dilemma: there was a whole array of choices! Red, white, yellow, brown, black--what to pick? I settled on a mid-size and mid-price packet of a paste that seemed fairly solid and was a mild yellow. I seem to have chosen well.

A lovely site called The Kitchn (from which site I'm linking the illustration for this post) laid it all out for me, and I see that the yellow-colored miso is a good all-purpose kind. I made egg-drop soup with it; I liked it, but Charlie didn't. Still, he said he'd try it again and see if he liked it better now that the flavor would be familiar. I think I erred in making the soup too simple; I think more complexity would make the miso flavor more interesting.

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

No comments: