Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Am I Detecting a Trend?











Donuts took a hard hit during the height of the low-carb craze. In my area, donut shops closed left and right. I never went low-carb, or stopped liking donuts; so this downward donut spiral was a sad one for me.

It appears people are wanting their carbs back, and are ready to let donuts re-enter their lives like long-lost friends. Lately, I have noticed some Krispy Kreme, and Dunkin Donut stores coming back to town.
The picture above is of a stand at the Johnson City, TN Farmer's Market. This family makes fresh donuts that have people waiting in long lines. I have not tried them, but everyone I know who has raves about these donuts.
Another thing I have been hearing about lately is made-to-order, custom donuts. Here is a site for Duck Donuts in the Outer Banks area of the Carolinas: http://www.duckdonuts.com/


The menu lets you choose your glaze and toppings. Yum!!!!



If you want to make your own donuts at home, canned biscuits make it easy:



1) shape each canned biscuit into a donut shape (use your thumb to make the hole)



2) fry in vegetable oil or shortening



3) shake in powdered sugar, cinnamon and sugar, frost with your favorite cake icing, or make a thin glaze with powdered sugar and water


1 comment:

anthony stemke said...

Doughnuts are dangerous. The white flour, the white sugar, the who knows what kind of trans fats are a very real problem.

Enjoy your donuts, but please, not daily.