Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Stuffed French Toast

As Aunt Becky says, "I know, right?" What could you stuff French Toast with that would make French Toast even better than, you know, French Toast?

Well, some friends and I had brunch at a joint called Toast on Market, and they stuffed theirs with ham and cheese, and also with blueberries and cream cheese.

I didn't have cream cheese, but I had a couple of bananas that were about to go to Jesus, so I mished them up and used them in place of the cream cheese. So:

STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
  • butter or margarine
  • 4 pieces of bread - stale is fine
  • 1 egg
  • 3 or 4 Tablespoons of milk (almond or soy is fine)
  • small blip of vanilla
  • 2 bananas, mished
  • blueberries or other fruit
  • pecans or other nuts, chopped
  • cinnamon
  • powdered sugar
Melt butter or margarine in skillet. Divide the bananas between two of the pieces of bread. Sprinkle with blueberries and pecans. Top with other two pieces of toast. Beat egg, milk and vanilla. Dip sandwich in egg mixture, turning once, and place in hot skillet. Repeat with other sandwich. Sprinkle with cinnamon. When bottom of sandwich is browned, turn and brown the other side. Remove to plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

This was SO GOOD! Try it. I think you'll like it. :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

3 comments:

Heather M. Gardner said...

I've always wanted to make stuffed french toast. This does sound good. How do you keep the two pieces of bread together?

Marian Allen said...

Heather, the bananas (or cheese, if you use cheese) kind of stick everything together. I wasn't too sure it was going to work, but it did. :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Heather M. Gardner said...

OK. I am going to try it once I grab a few ingredients!
Thanks
Heather