Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mint Condition
















We’re still trying to stay cool out here in the wilds of Arizona. If any of you Dear Readers have been watching the news lately, you know we’re also trying to get the grit out of our teeth from the Great Haboob of 2011. I won’t go on about what it was like in the middle of a gigantic dust storm worthy of the Dust Bowl days, but suffice it to say that I haven’t seen anything like that since I was a newlywed living in Lubbock Texas in 1975 and endured a storm so big that afterwards I had to scoop an inch of red dirt out of my bathtub. In any event, we are dusty but unscathed.

Summer is mint season, and I’ve been using a tremendous amount of mint lately. If your mint plants are as productive as mine have always been, you’re continually looking for new ways to use the stuff. I have learned over the years that there is hardly anything you can eat or drink that doesn’t taste good with mint in it. I’ve been keeping a jug of mint-infused water in the refrigerator as the perfect cooler after I’ve been outside. It’s great frozen in ice cubes, and a sprig or two in tea or lemonade is just what the doctor ordered.
I’ve been putting mint leaves in all my salads. Not just the green salads either. Potato salad, egg salad, bean salad are all improved with chopped mint. I even like it on sandwiches.
One thing I have never tried to make is mint jelly, and I would like to. The recipes I’ve found are basically apple jelly with mint, but I have to admit that I’m not a good jelly maker. If any of you Foodies have had success with a simple and un-screw-upable recipe for mint jelly I’d love to hear about it.

3 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

My mother makes great mint jelly. I'll try to get the recipe out of her. I also have an excess of mint in the garden, time to make use of it.

Donis Casey said...

Fantastic! Thanks, Vicki.

Sara Thompson said...

The Storey Country Cookbook (titled something like 500 country recipes but it's published by Storey and written by Martha Storey) has a natural mint jelly that is just mint - no apple juice or anything but mint, water, and sugar. Our mint is not very big at the moment but when it gets bigger I plan on trying it and adding it to my blog.