Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spring is Asparagus time


Spring has Spring
The grass has riz; I wonder where the flowers is.


Or so goes the old saying.

I am once again packing my bags and getting ready to hit the road on book tour. The timing isn’t good and I wouldn’t normally choose to travel in springtime. But my destination is Bloody Words in Victoria, B.C. on June 3 – 5, so I have little choice. I have a house sitter and she will put in the annuals in pots on the deck, and a neighbourhood teenager coming to cut the lawn. But otherwise everything will wait until my return. And then probably won’t get done. So there are likely to be any vegetables this year. I’ve covered the vegetable patch with a tarp to try to keep the weeds down.

I’ll miss asparagus season which is a real disappointment. I love asparagus but it is one of the things I only eat locally grown and in season. The season will be over when I get home. Sniff sniff.

Here’s the dish I’ll miss the most:

Vicki Delany’s Asparagus Linguini with Shrimp and Garlic

450 g linguine
¼ cup olive oil
450g medium sized raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ lb asparagus, cut into ½ inch pieces
3 to 5 garlic cloves, minded
½ cup dry white wine
1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup chopped parley
Salt and pepper

Cook pasta according to directions (reserving 1 cup of cooking water)

Heat oil in skillet over moderate head. Add shrimp, turning once until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a large bowl

Add garlic, wind and red pepper to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste as well as the butter and stir until butter has melted. Add shrimp and asparagus and stir until cooked, or for about 4 – 5 minutes.

In large bowl, toss pasta with shrimp mixture and parsley, adding reserved cooking water to moisten as necessary. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired.



Looking to buy farm fresh asparagus in Ontario: click here

For details on my book tour please click here. It would be fun to meet some Fatal Foodies readers.

5 comments:

Mary Vehr Mumaw said...

thanks Vicki - am looking forward to trying this - good luck on the trip to Victoria !!!

Vicki Delany said...

Thanks, Mary. Hope you're also having a nice spring. Or is spring over down there and summer here?

anthony stemke said...

I could make this recipe with broccoli, I dislike asparagus.
Thank You.

Donis Casey said...

I love asparagus and I can't wait to try it cooked with garlic and wind. Do you use organic wind?

Vicki Delany said...

Organic wind? Oh, you mean wine. No, I don't.