Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Mom's Favorite Foods


Happy Mother's Day! The picture of my parents was taken in 1947, when they were newlyweds and before four kids and a happy life together. My mother and father have passed on, and I have no kids of my own, so I’ll be spending Mother’s Day with a couple of my favorite authors, Carolyn Hart and Earlene Fowler, at the Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale, Arizona. Since Carolyn and Earlene both have roots in my native states of Oklahoma and Arkansas, I’ll be feeling right at home. Perhaps a bit nostalgic, too.

When I was a little kid, we always ate Mother’s Day lunch at Borden’s Cafeteria in Tulsa. My sister and I would finish eating several years before my parents (especially my mother, who was a notoriously slow eater), and being little girls we’d get all impatient and end up crawling around under the table trying to amuse ourselves while our folks tortured us by lighting up a post-prandial cigarette and smoking it right down to the nub before we could leave.

My father was something of a gourmand, but my mother had her definite likes and dislikes. She definitely liked her meat burned and her coffee weak with lots of Creamora and sugar. She loved her Coca-Cola, bacon with anything, Hershey's Kisses, Arby’s roast beef sandwiches, pineapple pie, and any dish that somebody else made for her.

If you mother is still with you, I hope you can do something nice together tomorrow. If God wills and you outlive your mom, I guarantee you’ll miss her when she’s gone.

No comments: