Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Man Who Did Not Read

Once upon a time, there was a husband.

One day, he came to his wife and said, "Honey, don't get any more of those fancy oranges. I peeled one, and MAN! They taste almost like lemons."

Now, the wife knew she had not bought any oranges that week and, filled with a dreadful suspicion, she checked the fruit bin. Sure enough, he had tried to eat a fruit taken from a bag clearly marked, "MEYER LEMONS"

Meyer lemons, in case you aren't familiar with them, are probably a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. I had one once, years ago, and I've been wanting more ever since, and our local grocery store had some so I coughed up the money and bought a bag of four.

I have three, now.

Here is what The Splendid Table has to say about Meyer lemons. Here is what The Los Angeles Times has to say, including a list of 100 things to do with them, not including trying to eat one under the mistaken impression that it is an orange.

As for what I'm going to do, I'm going to make a lemon pie.

MA
p.s. On my own blog today, Joseph Robert Lewis, writer of mystery/fantasy/steampunk and all things wonderful, talks about world building.

No comments: