Friday, March 11, 2011

Cookies saved my life....

It may be true. Let me explain.

Those of you who are friends with me on Facebook know I've had a vicious sinus infection and have been searching for "the cutest shoes ever" to be buried in because that's the part of me I want showing if this stuff kills me. I don't want people plodding by my casket lying, "Doesn't she look natural?" I want them to say, "Ooooh! Cute shoes!" But, I digress.

On Tuesday night, feeling no relief whatsoever despite being three days into my antibiotics, I wailed, "Just shoot me!"

"Mom," my son chided. "We can't shoot you."

My little heart stood on its tippy-toes to get closer to my ears, yearning to hear the words of adoration he was sure to spout next.

{Heart's dream sequence.... Orchestral swell of "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" followed by sweet, sweet child-o-mine saying: "We LOVE you so." Or "You are the glue that holds this family together." Or "You, dearest mother, are the shining beacon that guides us all home each day." Heart flutters and sniffles.}

And then came his actual words:

"The people at school would be so disappointed."

{Heart's music scratches to a stop. Heart says, "huh?"}

He nodded and grinned that million dollar smile that once again gave the heart hope.

"Take today," he continued. "I couldn't eat all my lunch, so I pushed the bag that still had two of my cookies in it to the middle of the table and watched 'em fight over it. They were all saying, 'Man! These are awesome! Did your Mom make these?' I said, 'Yep.'" He smiled. "See?"

As my heart was processing the fact that I would not be shot because I make a decent chocolate chip cookie, my brain kicked in.

"He's a teenager," Brain told Heart. "And that was praise. Any praise from a teenager is wonderful!"

"You're right!" said Heart. "I'll take it!"

Here's a chocolate chip cookie recipe (that contains vanilla extract) if you'd like to make a batch of cookies not to die for. [It's not the one I use; but Cooper is lying behind my chair, and I can't get up to copy the one out of the cookbook. But this one sounds really good. I need to try it!] :) Or you could order some from Mrs. Fields. That, too, could save your life.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Too funny!! and that is high praise from a teenage boy. :-D
Hope you feel better so you can enjoy the cookies too.

Gayle said...

Thanks, Kathy! I'm still not 100%, but I think I'll live. :) And cookies make EVERYTHING better, right?