Saturday, February 19, 2011

What's for Lunch?

I've been writing all morning. Time has gotten completely away from me. It's already past lunch time, and suddenly I'm famished. I haven't spared a single thought for what to eat. In fact, I don't even know what food in the house, but I don't want to take the time go out and get something.

Be still, my grumbling stomach, I'll find something to calm you. But what is this I find in the refrigerator? English muffins? Perhaps if I toast these up, smear on a bit of mayo, some thin slivers of sweet onion, and... look here! A jar of pickled capers in the fridge door.

Good beginning.

Now, clean a bit of this fresh basil and slice up the hothouse tomato I picked up at the farmer's market yesterday, some salt, grind on some pepper, and I've got the beginnings of a nice looking little sandwich.

I think this may be a perfect opportunity to open the package of lox I've been saving. One slice on each muffin half, and...oh, what the heck. Three or four slices on each half. And zippety zap, I've got lunch.

Delicious!

3 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Um, yum! I like the way you think, girl! And the way you eat! Imma come to your house, especially if you have farmers' markets at this time of year. I'm counting the days until ours opens. :)

Marian Allen

Vicki Delany said...

Lovely. Yum, yum.

Donis Casey said...

We have a year round farmer's market store in a small town called Guadalupe that is less than 2 miles from my house. There is some benefit to living in a climate wherein something is growing year round. However, the tomatoes are hothouse right now.