Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pitch-In FTW

I went to a church pitch-in the other evening. As always, everything there was scrumptious. We had baked mixed beans (butter beans and black beans and I forget what else kind of beans, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar and a touch of curry!), turkey tetrazzini (noodles, turkey, mushrooms, cream and white cheeses), jasmine rice and some kind of chicken in tomato and bell pepper sauce. And four desserts. Um-yum!

Me? I took corn pudding. It looked very homely among all that wonderfulness but you know what? --Yeah, you're way ahead of me. I only brought home the scrapings of the casserole.

It's the old fairy tale syndrome, you know? All the princesses are beautiful, but the prince is strangely drawn to the plain one, and she turns out to be the most beautiful one of all. Stuff like that.

Anyway, here is my recipe, which I got from a World Wide Recipes PLUS Edition.

Corn Pudding (or Casserole)
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 1 can regular corn, undrained (use fiesta corn, if you want fancy)
  • 1 stick butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
Combine well. Pour into rectangular casserole or cake pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Peeps, this is mighty tasty, and it's comfort food even if you've never had it before. Guaranteed to boost those endorphins or whatever.

Oh, and the "fatal" thing, other than it's so good it's to die for: The wonderful Jane E. Jones wrote a short story about a fatal pitch-in called "Everybody Knows I Can't Cook" for the Southern Indiana Writers Group's cookbook/fiction anthology NOVEL INGREDIENTS, in which each story is followed by a related recipe (spiral-bound for use as a cookbook as well as reading material). Click here to read excerpts, including one from Jane's story.

Marian Allen

2 comments:

Lisa Hall said...

Oooh, I've made this before. You've helped me remember how good it is!

Gayle said...

Wish I could've been there with you! :)