Saturday, February 26, 2011

Molten Chocolate Cupcakes

Last week it was my turn to bring treats to a club meeting. I like to use these poor club women as guinea pigs to try out new dessert recipes, especially chocolate, since my obviously deranged husband won’t eat chocolate, and the last thing I need is a batch of cookies or fudge sitting around the house begging to be eaten.

This was the perfect opportunity to try making molten chocolate cupcakes. Most of the recipes I’ve found for molten cakes are for something larger than a cupcake, so I attempted to alter a regular recipe to create a smaller pastry. They turned out delicious, though I never quite got the interior as molten as I originally planned. Here is what I did, though I must warn you that I tend to be an eyeball cook so some of the amounts may be approximate. I had to make two batches before I got one that was pretty enough to take to a meeting. The first batch was yummy, but ugly. I had to eat it. Darn.

One 11 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Two sticks of unsalted butter (1 cup total)
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
6 whole eggs
3 egg yokes
2 tsp vannila extract
2 scant cups of powdered sugar
3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour


Preheat oven to 42 5 degrees
Generously butter 12-cup muffin tin. Stir the chocolate chips, butter, and spices in a heavy medium sausepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. in a large bowl, whisk the eggs and yolks and vanilla to blend. Whisk in the powdered sugar, then the chocolate mixture, then the flour. Pour the batter into the muffin cups, filling to the top.


Bake until the batter has risen above the cups, the top edges dark brown and the center soft and runny, depending on your oven, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and et the cupcakes stand for a few minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the cakes to loosen, then gently turn the batch out over a large plate or wax paper. Serve with ice cream.



3 comments:

Gayle said...

YUM!

Marian Allen said...

Gayle, I'll see your YUM and raise you an OMnomnomnomnom!

Marian Allen

Donis Casey said...

And the reality is even better than the idea