Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fight Anxiety. Make Something Pretty to Eat

I'm in the midst of the book promotion cycle. I tend to become anxious when I'm going from one event to another for weeks at a time. I get that old "If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium" feeling, even if I'm enjoying the gigs.

The worst part of the whole thing is that my sleep is often disturbed for a couple of days before a big event comes up. I'll wake up in the morning with a start, knowing that I've had a disturbing dream but not quite remembering what it was.



That happened to me earlier this week. I awoke too early, feeling upset without knowing why. I tried to go back to sleep, but only was able to achieve that state of half-sleep, half-wake, and my mind was still going ninety to nothing.

This isn't good, says I to myself, still half dreaming. Try to think lovely thoughts. Suddenly I was dreaming of cooking a beautiful meal. Literally beautiful, made with all kinds of colorful ingredients and an aroma like heaven. I woke a few hours later, feeling good and determined to make something pretty for supper.

I picked out two beautiful bell peppers, chopped them up with a baby bok choy, onion, mushrooms, a couple of garlic cloves, a fresh tomato, stir-fried all together in olive oil with some strips of chicken breast. Then I whisked together a sauce of 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil, 2 tbsp. tamari, 2 tbsp. raw honey, the juice of half a lime, and about a teaspoon of water, and poured it over the dish after removing it from the fire but still hot in the skillet. I served it up with fresh cilantro, hot mustard, and lime slices on the side. It was as delicious as it was pretty. A perfect way to restore calm and balance to the universe.
__________

disclosure : I used Quorn brand vegetarian "chicken" strips

2 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Sounds and looks beautiful and delicious from raw ingredients to finished dish. If people knew how recreational (and re-creation-al) cooking fresh is, more would do it. :)

Marian Allen

Donis Casey said...

and how artistically satisfying, too, Marian.