Friday, February 18, 2011

Do you suffer from food paranoia?


I do. If I hear a rumor about a restaurant, it takes a lot for me to be able to eat there again. For example, the recent Taco Bell controversy over whether or not the beef in their tacos is only 35% ground beef has me shuddering whenever I drive by their restaurants even though Taco Bell has vehemently denied the claim.


I haven't eaten at a local restaurant EVER because several years ago one of my son's friends had a brother who worked there. This friend told my son he saw his brother picking his nose while making a milkshake! The boy doesn't work there anymore, but I still can't bring myself to visit that restaurant. Was management waaaay lax in its hygiene standards; did no one else notice it; or did the boy lie to my son about his brother because he thought it would be funny? Who knows? It's just that once the implication is there, I can't seem to get past it. I could probably get very skinny if I knew everything I don't want to know about food packaging and preparation--both in and out of the restaurant industry.

How about you? Do you suffer from food paranoia? Or are you able to shrug off the rumors and eat, drink, and be merry? :)

5 comments:

Sara Thompson said...

I don't usually pay much attention to media about restaurants but I do have some "phobias" about local restaurants. My mom got really sick after eating at a local restaurant so I haven't tried it. I think she's been back.
About the thing with Taco Bell - most restaurants that do cheap mexican food (and most packaged foods) are mostly soy or wheat filler - that's why they are cheap. I don't know why everyone is making a big deal about it - it's not like they were using cat or something.

Donis Casey said...

My mother stopped eating at a very famous fast food chain when she read that they use cow lips in their hamburger. (I'd name it, but I fear litigation since this chain is famously litigious.) Odd, since she was of Scottish descent and her folks used every piece of the animal from hoof to ears.

Donis Casey said...

p.s. I don't think I'd mind some oatmeal in my hamburger.

Vicki Delany said...

Oatmeal in hamburger is pretty good. It's the way my mom made it to stretch the meat. Add an egg to bind and it's very tasty. I still do it that way sometimes.

Gayle said...

Donis, the cow lips would get to me, too! That's kinda what I thought they were talking about with Taco Bell. I see headlines and, like Henny Penny, think the sky (or intestines, cow lips, etc.) is falling...into the food! ;)