Sunday, February 20, 2011

Comfort Food and a chilly night


Vicki here. I wrote last time about using the foods I had prepared and/or frozen in the fall over the winter. And how nice it is to be able to take foods you’ve grown yourself or bought directly from the farmer and still have those flavours in the bleak mid-winter.

But sometimes, you just gotta have comfort food.

The other night I got a craving for spaghetti and meat sauce the way my mom used to make it, and the way I used to make it for my three children when they were young.

Real 1960s stuff using the can opener.

I made up a big batch – and it was as good as I remember.

Last night I came home from two days away for a book singing, and a nice roast beef dinner at Mom’s, to find my house a mite cold, shall we say. The furnace had stopped working (it is about 2 (TWO) years old). Fortunately I have a propane fireplace that kicks in when the temperature in the house drops to 10 degrees C (about 50 F). Because I live in the country I have a wood stove also. So I started up the stove and the fireplace and spent the night in comfort.

The picture shown is my garden shed in winter, so you get the drift.

Right now (Sunday morning) and it’s -11 ( 12 F) so I have a feeling that tonight I’ll be needing another dose of comfort food for dinner.

Vicki’s Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

1 lb ground beef
1 onion
1 clove garlic
Splash of olive oil
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato sauce (small can – 7 oz??)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper

Heat oil. Add sliced onion and garlic and cook until golden. Add beef and cook until done (no red colour remains). Break up beef into small pieces as it cooks. You may then want to scoop out as much of the melted fat as you can.
Add can tomato soup, then fill can with water and add that as well. Add tomato sauce and paste and herbs etc.

Bring to boil and lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve over spaghetti.

1 comment:

Donis Casey said...

Now I'm craving spaghetti. I've never tried the canned soup in the sauce, but I will now.