Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My New Favorite Cookbook

One of my main requests for birthday gifts was The Pioneer Woman Cooks. My husband came through in granting that request, and I have been obsessed with this book ever since.

In the past, I did a post on Ree Drummond, aka the Pioneer Woman. She is a former city girl/vegetarian who married a real cowboy/rancher.
Ree's move to the country threw her into a fascinating new lifestyle that inspired her to blog. The blog became such a sensation that she came out with her own cookbook, which soon reached #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list.

My one fear is that too much sampling from Ree's book will result in some thickness around my middle. This food is packing some major calories. Ree notes that ranch work creates a need for hearty meals. I do not think my almost-daily thirty minutes of walking/running results in the same amount of calorie-burning as breaking horses, fixing fence and all of the other tasks that Ree and her family do in working their ranch.
The photographs of their ranch that Ree puts in both her book and on her blog are stunning! She also includes photographs of the cooking process for her recipes, so you know how each step should look.
Here is my condensed version of one of Bree's breakfast recipes. My daughter liked it so much that she wanted it for breakfast and dinner in the same day.

Egg in the Hole

Cut a hole in the middle of a piece of bread, using a biscuit cutter or glass. Melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat. Put the bread in the butter for about a minute, letting it toast and soak in the butter. Break one egg into the center of the hole. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as it cooks. Let the egg set, flip it and let it set on the other side.

No comments: