Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Making The Most Of A Butternut Squash

There are only the two of us, so I wanted a nice little butternut squash. Couldn't find one. In the land of Bigger is Better, even the squash has been super-sized. The one I found had a reasonable bulby bit, but the neck looked like a cross between a giraffe and a rhinoceros. And, of course, a squash.

I cut off the bulby bit, scooped out the seeds (which are sooo good roasted: pull off and discard the strings, toss the seeds with oil or butter and whatever seasonings you like and toast in skillet or hot oven for about 10 minutes). Then I buttered the interior of the bulb halves and baked them, buttered side down, at 350 for 45-60 minutes and stuffed them with couscous topped with feta cheese.

I peeled and cubed the neck part and simmered the cubes until they were tender. I took out half to store. The other half, I mashed, adding salt, butter, honey, nutmeg and toasted ground pecans. It made a very nice spread. I have some of it left over, and I'm considering beating an egg into it and frying it as a sort of pancake.

With the other half of the simmered neck bit, I plan to make a soup. The original recipe calls for sweet potato, apple butter and pumpkin, but I'm going to make it with squash, apple pie filling and pumpkin. You add diced carrots, veg broth, garlic and onion and, nasty as it sounds, it is stunningly delicious. The recipe also calls for heavy cream, but we liked what I made before just fine without it. Suit yourself.

In the spirit of the season, I don't have a murder method to offer this week. Unless you know someone who is allergic to squash, I suppose.

MA

1 comment:

GypsyJim said...

Sounds like you had enough to share, but did you call? NO! Harumpf, I say!