Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fruit Cocktail Cake for Christmas


Every week leading up to the new year, I’m posting a recipe that is a multi-generational tradition in my extended family. Last week was my uncle’s penuche. This week I’m sharing the recipe for my mother's fruit cocktail cake, just as she wrote it. This cake is easy-peasy, and while it’s delicious right out of the oven, the older it gets, the more luscious and succulent it becomes. In fact, just thinking of it...Excuse me while I delicately dab saliva off my chin.

1 1/2 cups sugar 1 15 oz can of fruit cocktail

2 cups flour 2 eggs

2 tsp soda 1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt you can substitute spices for the vanilla (like a spice cake)

Mix ingredients in order and pour into a 13x9 inch pan. Before baking sprinkle the top with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup nuts, or after cake cools, frost with german chocolate cake icing. Bake for 45 minutes in a moderate oven.

MY OBSERVATIONS : I add the vanilla and the spices. I used 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp ground clove in the cake I gave you. I more or less put in whatever and however much spice I feel like, sometimes allspice, apple pie spice. My sister and I always put on twice as much topping as called for. You can use whatever nuts appeal to you, but I've always used pecans.

ALSO - In my oven, 45 minutes at 350 is too long. A toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean at about 35 minutes, so check for doneness early.


5 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

This does sound quick, easy and yummy. Just one question. Since the recipe calls for 2 tsp soda, does that mean the 2 cups of flour is plain flour instead of self-rising?

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Marian Allen said...

I love the "use this if you don't like that" and "double this part, if it's your favorite part" attitude and the flexibility of this recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

Marian Allen

Donis Casey said...

I use all-purpose flour, Mason. This recipe is in fact very forgiving, Marion. Last time I made it, I used one tsp soda and one tsp of baking powder. I've made it with whole wheat pastry flour, too.

Mason Canyon said...

Donis, thanks. I'll have to give this a try since I have all the ingredients and it sounds yummy.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Donis Casey said...

Let me know how it goes, Mason