Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Deadly Danes

These cookies have been called Snowballs, Russian Teacakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Czechoslovakian Cookies and, in my go-to recipe, Danish Cookies. My #3 daughter calls them Pecan Balls, which is probably the most appropriate descriptor. This is one of the cookies I ALWAYS make for Christmas. They have about 70 calories each, and I could just stand at the counter and inhale the whole batch. I have far too much self-discipline for that, of course. But I could.

DANISH COOKIES
  • 1 stick butter or margarine, soft but not melted
  • 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar plus some for rolling
  • 1 cup sifted flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Mix and roll into 1" balls. Bake at 250 F for 1/2 hour. Cool slightly, then roll in more powdered sugar.

Here's another recipe I just found because I wanted to ... er ... liberate their picture. I think I like their recipe even better than mine: hotter oven and shorter baking time, and TOAST the nuts first--yeah, tha's what I'm talkin' about!

What makes them deadly? I mean, apart from the fact I could eat them until I pop? Well, I have a friend who's allergic to hazelnuts. Not any other kind of nuts, but hazelnuts. Now, suppose she were NOT my friend, but my deadly enemy. And suppose I slipped some hazelnuts into her pecan balls. It must have happened at the factory! The manufacturer should have put a warning label on the package! It's an outrage! What a tragic accident!

What's that? You say hazelnuts have such a distinctive taste, she would know at once that she had them in her mouth and would spit them out? Then maybe I'd better put them in the bourbon balls, for which I'll post the recipe next week.

Marian Allen

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My grandmother used to make those. Haven't had them in years.

Lisa Hall said...

What's not to love about butter, sugar and some nuts thrown in for good measure?

Donis Casey said...

Oh, this looks too good to leave unbaked

Marian Allen said...

I posted a picture of my Christmas baking at my web site today.

Marian Allen