Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pickle in a Pear Tree

That's the name of my NaNoWriMo project for this year.

I didn't know what to name the formless project I planned to do this year, and so I used the Story Spinner (get you one--it's AWESOME). One of the words it came up with was pickle, and PICKLE IN A PEAR TREE just popped into my head. My head is like that. I'm not proud of it, I'm just stating a fact.

So I had to justify that title. I remembered a set of German blown-glass ornaments my mother has, one of which is a pickle. Christmas--tree--pickle. Pickle in a pear tree. Makes as much sense as a pickle on a Christmas tree.

Since I'd rather look stuff up than work--I mean, since research is an important part of the writing process, I looked pickle ornaments up on the interwebs.

I found many posts about a "German legend" that none of my German friends had ever heard of. This post on About.com seems to cover all the bases. It's possible that pickles--or they may have been supposed to be cucumbers--were made as part of a series of fruits and nuts made by a German glassworks. F. W. Woolworth imported and sold the glass ornaments in the 1880's and it appears that Americans, who love a good legend even if we have to invent it ourselves, spread the "age-old German custom" across America and back to Germany.

So far, nobody in my book has killed anybody with a Christmas pickle. I hope nobody does. I'll just have to finish writing it so I can find out.

Meanwhile, romantic suspense (with a touch of the paranormal) author Mary Montague Sikes is guesting at my blog today. Please drop in and say hello!

Marian Allen

5 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is too funny, Marian. But the "Pickle in a Pear Tree" title is just as catchy as "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" or "The Persian Pickle Club." Run with it!

Chris V. said...

Great title!

Marian Allen said...

Thanks! This series is a little silly, so I'm trying for titles that reflect that. The one I roughed out last year was DOWN AND DIRTY DEATH.

Marian Allen

Belle said...

No clue who you are but I do know how I came to find you and I had to leave a comment because it's heartening to know there are more of us who are a little "off" out there!

I googled "A pickle in a pear tree", why? Because that's what my smartass husband said when I asked him what he wanted for XMas...Needless to say my twisted family and I are soooo running with it!

Marian Allen said...

Belle, It sounds like your family and I would get along. :) Come back and see me some time, and please visit my daily blog, Marian Allen - Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes