Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tasting Tomatoes






Faithful readers may know that I am somewhat of a tomato fan. I have blogged before about my tomato fetish. Well today, dear reader, is TOMATO TASTING DAY!

I will soon be trotting off, drooling with anticipation, to Vicki’s Veggies in Prince Edward County, Ontario. (NB: Another Vicki, nothing to do with me.) Vicki’s is famous for the quality of its organic and heirloom produce, tomatoes in particular. She grows myriad varieties of heirloom tomatoes to sell at market and to provide to local restaurants.

Every Labour Day weekend they have a Tomato Tasting Day. Long trestle tables are set up in front of the farm house and all the varieties of tomatoes are laid out for your tasting pleasure with labels and descriptions. She has about fifty different ones. The sizes, the colours, the tastes are all so different. And to think I once thought there were three types of tomatoes: little ones, big ones, and oblong ones. And they were all red.

Until I first went to Vicki’s two years ago, I did not know what an incredible variety of tomatoes there are in the world. I’ve included a few pictures to give you an idea.

www.vickisveggies.com

2 comments:

Donis Casey said...

So what did you decide? Which variety is the best?

Vicki Delany said...

The very best one was called Russian Prince George. Also good, Black Yum Yum and Dino Egg.