Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pizza Dreams

I greatly enjoyed Marian’s entry of August 30, below, about her creation of a quick and delicious home-made pizza. It put me in mind of all the wonderful yet completely non-traditional pizzas I’ve enjoyed over the years.

One of my best pizza-eating memories involves a left-over wad of bread dough, Gorgonzola cheese, onions and garlic caramelized in a skillet, and thin slices of day-old fried potatoes.

My nephew used to love to put a drained can of sliced peaches over shredded mozzarella on his pre-made pizza crust and sprinkle it with cinnamon. Then plop a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top when the pie was fresh out of the oven.

Which reminds me of the ham/pitted dark cherry/jalapeno concoction that rocked everybody’s world at a party I attended years ago.

And if you’re not a pizza snob, here’s a tasty experience. My husband likes to make what I call an “eight-year-old’s” pizza. Ingredients: One flour tortilla or flatbread slice, several glops of ketchup, covered with slices of cheddar cheese, topped with a few thin slivers of onion. It’s delicious.

It’s hard beat a good old thin-crust pie dripping with cheese and tomato sauce and whatever topping makes you happy, but if you have imagination and are up for adventure, like Marian is, there’s no limit to what can be done with a pizza crust.

3 comments:

Lisa Hall said...

I love making pizza for lunch on tortillas, bagels, English muffins; it always turns out delicious. Apples, blue cheese and walnuts or pecans make a really good pizza, especially for fall.

Donis Casey said...

I do english muffin pizzas a lot. They're great for a one-person meal. My next one will have apples and blue cheese and some walnuts, too

Marian Allen said...

Mmmm.... Apples and blue cheese and walnuts--Oh, my!

I also love pesto pizza--with pesto instead of tomato sauce--and Alfredo pizza--with Alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce. The Alfredo is usually made with spinach, chicken and bacon on it. Marinated artichoke hearts would be good, too.... Hungry...!

Marian Allen