Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Perfect Storm Party

Donna Fletcher Crow is guesting at my site today, talking about A VERY PRIVATE GRAVE, the latest in her Monastery Murders series.

I'm at Echelon Explorations, talking about where Uncle Phineas, the reaver priest in my sf novel EEL'S REVERENCE, came from.

And, as I always am unless a storm knocks out the power, I'm here at Fatal Foodies.

The contest is still running, so join the tour and enter to win a book or your name in a short story.

Speaking of storms knocking out the power and speaking, as we have been, of cupcakes, I was reminded of a time that combined both.

Our #1 daughter and her husband and son live next door to us. We have a basement and they don't, so they come to our house whenever there's severe weather. We live in Tornado Alley, so that's usually several times a year.

This particular time was the day after our #3 daughter's wedding. It took place on our back deck, and her wedding "cake" was a four-tier stand of cupcakes of various flavors and icings decorated with sugar and real flowers. I must have a picture of it around here somewhere, but I can't locate it.

Anyway, we had a bunch of cupcakes left over, which the bride and groom left with us rather than taking them on their honeymoon. If it had been me, I'd have left the groom and taken the cupcakes, but that's another story.

So, when severe weather blew in, daughter, her husband, her son and her mother-in-law, my mother and my grandfather all gathered in the basement. I brought down the cupcakes and some soft drinks, and we had a storm party. Our grandson, instead of being afraid when he has to take shelter in the basement, looks forward to it. It isn't danger, it's a storm party!

Marian Allen

1 comment:

Lisa Hall said...

I have some great memories of good food and fun times during storms. When the power goes out,or when the weather is too bad to go outside; it can lead to some much-needed family time!