Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Killer Gorp

Killer Gorp or Killer Trail Mix. Food in Mystery writers are welcome to use either title.

My husband and one of our sons-in-law and I all have birthdays this month, and had a group party, and my husband was given two varieties of this wonderful foodstuff.

In case you don't know, gorp or trail mix or scroggin is a mixture of dried fruit, nuts and other small dry foods. It's high-energy, and great to take on camping trips, hikes, long drives or anywhere else where a quick shot of energy/protein would be useful. Sometimes students keep some around for late-night study sessions. I used it to help me quit smoking. Any time I wanted a cigarette, I had a bit of gorp instead.

According to World Wide Words, gorp probably doesn't "mean" anything except what it is.

I would post a recipe, but there is no real recipe. Put in anything you want. Dried pineapple. Coconut flakes. Raisins. Sultanas. Dried cherries. Chocolate chips. Yogurt drops. Peanuts.

Which brings me to the "killer" part. Suppose a character had a severe allergy to nuts, so he always bought or made gorp without nuts. And suppose somebody wanted him dead and crept into his house and added nut dust to his gorp. Or suppose somebody just wanted someone out of the way on a hike or out of his room during part of a study session, and cut up prunes into a trail mix rich with dried fruit.

The possibilities are...er...endless.

Scraggin' by scroggin.

You're welcome.

Marian Allen

5 comments:

Leslie R. Lee said...

Try throwing in chocolate M&M's. Killer.

Mary said...

"The possibilities are...er...endless."
How true! My mind was racing as I read.
Thank you.
Mary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm a knowledgeable guy, but this is the first time I've ever heard the word gorp.

Karen said...

"...and my husband was given two varieties of this wonderful foodstuff."

Then you write

"Suppose a character had a severe allergy to nuts, so he always bought or made gorp without nuts. And suppose somebody wanted him dead and crept into his house and added nut dust to his gorp."

It's a good thing mystery writers only think about murder, instead of "murderously"!

Hugs, Karen

Rick Blechta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.