Monday, March 8, 2010

Yogurt Parfaits


I have discovered a new favorite breakfast, courtesy of my friend Marcy in Hawaii. It's very simple, but to die for... and has the added benefit of being really good for you!

You need:

1 cup Greek yogurt (I use plain, non-fat organic from Trader Joe's)
1 cup berries (I love raspberries and blueberries, but any berries will do)
1/2 cup organic whole grain granola (Nature's Path or 18 Rabbits both make yummy granolas)
drizzle of honey or agave nectar
tsp. slivered almonds (optional)

Layer the above and enjoy!

What does this have to do with writing, you ask? I read a book on metabolism, hormones and nutrition while in Hawaii (my friend is a doctor and had some interesting diet and nutrition books lying around) and found myself saying "Ah hah!" a lot while reading various symptoms and reasons for weight gain, especially in women of a certain age (I love that expression). One of them was brain fog (yup, that's what they called it), which I have been experiencing in spades the last few months. London pea soup brain fog. I noticed after a few days of eating nothing but a very healthful diet of fresh, raw and organic foods, I started feeling sharper in the brain pan. A little sun cutting through the fog there. I've continued the diet since returning home, cut back to one glass of wine a night on week nights, and the writing has been a lot less frustrating. I've been sleeping better, having some fascinating dreams (which always stimulates my creativity) and also feeling satiated after smaller meals. I love the fog, but NOT in my brain!

Here's to happier, healthier and yummier eating!

3 comments:

Lois Gresh said...

Hi, Dana. Back when I was healthy, I had farmer's cheese (or cottage cheese) with a banana every day for lunch. I did for many years. However, my brain was in a pea soup fog back then, just as it is today!

Lisa Lane said...

Eating healthy is so important, no matter what age a person is ... and I do love a good yogurt.

It really is amazing what a difference healthy eating can make. I am definitely more of a space cadet than usual when I allow generous allotments of snack foods and candy into my diet. I think junk food in strict moderation is okay; just the same, you couldn't pay me enough to go to a fast food restaurant and eat a hamburger.

Dana Fredsti said...

Hi, Lois and Lisa!

I love farmer's cheese... haven't had it in years, since I worked at Hickory Farms over Christmas vacation in high school! My brain is definitely unfogging slowly but surely with the healthier eating and cutting down of my nightly wine consumption... And I do believe in all things in moderation when it comes to diet. Processed foods are just kinda icky when you know what goes in 'em... and how the ingredients can screw with your metabolism...