Everyone has their list of things they wouldn't eat, even if they are starving. Of course, that could change, especially in times of natural disaster.
It got me thinking about odd foods. Every area has something they consider normal that is well, odd, to others.
On this Weird Food site, it lists a few unusual offerings.
For instance, a couple from the site are:
* Aussies like beets on their burgers. (Beets? - Pickled yet!)
* Three-fried beans - It made me think of Mexican refried beans, which are well, mushy. But this is from the south which means deep fried. (Why is everything either gravied or fried down south? What are they covering up?)
A few of my own to-be-missed categories:
* Here in Wisconsin, a favorite is biscuits and gravy, something I'd never heard of until I moved here. I don't get it (nor would I want to. Sounds like a dish I'd really have to have gone many many days without food to even consider trying.) Sorry, I know from looking it up that some consider it a delicacy. I guess it's a matter of what you grew up with. Here's a Food Network recipe.
* Hot dogs with Sauerkraut: Some say forgo the hot dogs altogether. I like a hot dog now and then, Chicago style with all the stuff, hot peppers and mustard, too. Nope, no kraut, no ketchup.
* Fried cheese: why? I admit I haven't tried it. It just seems, well, odd.
* Pickled pig's feet: I remember those creepy jars that used to sit on every bar counter. Ick! And no, I wasn't hanging in bars all the time.
* Pickled eggs: Ditto. Make that almost pickled anything.
I know, I know; that too is a kind of "delicacy" to some. (I still ask why?) So here's a recipe. You can get other recipes here if you insist.
12-16 hard-boiled eggs
2 c. cider vinegar
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pickling spices
1 jar pickled beets
Peel eggs and place into large jar. Combine remaining ingredients in an enamel saucepan. Heat to boiling point. Reduce heat and heat for 8 minutes. Pour over eggs and wait at least 24 hours before eating (to give eggs time to pickle and absorb flavor).
* Got your own suggestions of weird or must-be-missed food?