Thursday, March 18, 2010

Weird Stuff to Eat

Everyone has their list of things they wouldn't eat, even if they are starving. Of course, that could change, especially in times of natural disaster.

It got me thinking about odd foods. Every area has something they consider normal that is well, odd, to others.


On this Weird Food site, it lists a few unusual offerings.

For instance, a couple from the site are:

* Aussies like beets on their burgers. (Beets? - Pickled yet!)

* Three-fried beans - It made me think of Mexican refried beans, which are well, mushy. But this is from the south which means deep fried. (Why is everything either gravied or fried down south? What are they covering up?)

A few of my own to-be-missed categories:

* Here in Wisconsin, a favorite is biscuits and gravy, something I'd never heard of until I moved here. I don't get it (nor would I want to. Sounds like a dish I'd really have to have gone many many days without food to even consider trying.) Sorry, I know from looking it up that some consider it a delicacy. I guess it's a matter of what you grew up with. Here's a Food Network recipe.

* Hot dogs with Sauerkraut: Some say forgo the hot dogs altogether. I like a hot dog now and then, Chicago style with all the stuff, hot peppers and mustard, too. Nope, no kraut, no ketchup.

* Fried cheese: why? I admit I haven't tried it. It just seems, well, odd.

* Pickled pig's feet: I remember those creepy jars that used to sit on every bar counter. Ick! And no, I wasn't hanging in bars all the time.

* Pickled eggs: Ditto. Make that almost pickled anything.

I know, I know; that too is a kind of "delicacy" to some. (I still ask why?) So here's a recipe. You can get other recipes here if you insist.

PICKLED EGGS

12-16 hard-boiled eggs
2 c. cider vinegar
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pickling spices
1 jar pickled beets

Peel eggs and place into large jar. Combine remaining ingredients in an enamel saucepan. Heat to boiling point. Reduce heat and heat for 8 minutes. Pour over eggs and wait at least 24 hours before eating (to give eggs time to pickle and absorb flavor).

* Got your own suggestions of weird or must-be-missed food?

5 comments:

sweet-komal said...

balut!
asian delicacy of fertilised duck egg with the embryo inside fully formed
http://www.culinaryschools.org/cuisine/10-disgusting-delicacies/balut.jpg

casu marzu
cheese left outside to rot with maggots laying their eggs inside, then eating it, maggots wriggling and everything

Chris V. said...

Oh double ick! Now i was only picking out the less gross stuff. You found some jewels. Those two I definitely would never ever touch, no matter what. I would starve!

sweet-komal said...

yeah me neither and I like to try most things!

I've eaten
frogs legs (like pondy chicken)
snails (very chewy)
sweet fish lollipops (horrible)
chewy dried squid (gross)
bottom two were from an asian supermarket

Chris V. said...

You're braver than I. And I see I won't be going to any Asian food stores. Ever. haa!

Dana Fredsti said...

I love fried cheese...