Sunday, March 14, 2010

Vicki x2 Winter Chicken

As I have mentioned before, I'm writing a book in which the protagonist owns a small-scale organic farm in Upstate New York. As part of my research for the book, I spent a very nice afternoon at a small-scale organic farm near where I live some months ago. When I left she (the farmer) gave me a big paper bag full of potatoes. All kinds of potatoes: some are light brown and normal sized, some are as small as my fingernail and are purple, some are round, many are long ovals. I used some of the fingerlings the other night in one of my favourite quick dinner dishes, and the quality of the potatoes really stood out, even though it is now March and they would have been harvested some four to six months ago.

Here is the recipe for a really quick and easy chicken dinner, perfect for winter when root vegetables are about all you have to cook with.

I have not given suggested amounts of the vegetables, just use what you like and as many as you think you can eat.

Vicki x2 Winter Chicken

Feeds 2.

4 bone-in chicken thighs (skin removed if you like), seasoned with salt and pepper

Potatoes, about the size of a golf ball, washed but not peeled or sliced (fingerlings are recommended)

Butternut or other winter squash, peeled and cut into pieces the size of the potatoes

Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces the size of the potatoes

2 tomatoes, quartered (they will turn very mushy and almost disappear so quality isn’t important – supermarket tomatoes will work, for once)

Brussels sprouts, washed, with ends removed.

1 Onion, peeled and sliced into hunks

2 cloves garlic, chopped.

About a tablespoon of dried herbs, as you like them (suggest rosemary, thyme, basil)

Preheat oven to 350.
Add all ingredients to a roasting pan, trying to make a single layer.
Drizzle about 2 tbsp of olive oil over meat and vegetables, and sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper.
Toss meat and vegetables to coat with oil and herbs
Bake with lid on for about 45 minutes to hour.

No comments: