Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Veg Out

Tommorrow, I am hosting a playdate/lunch with some girlfriends and their kiddies. I plan to make a dish that I used to make all the time, when I lived with my parents.

They had a garden that was on the bank of a creek. That soil must have been good for zucchini, because there were more than we knew what to do with every summer. Sometimes, just for fun, we would leave a zucchini on the vine to see it grow as large as a wiffle ball bat.

The garden brings back fond summer memories. I loved getting in the creek with a big bucket to get water for the plants. It mesmerized me when my dad strategically planned how many rows of corn would be planted. He swore that we needed a minimum and odd number of rows for proper cross-pollination. Once, I even cancelled a date because it was the night that my family and I were putting out the garden. By the way, the guy never asked me out again.

Zucchini can be found in the grocery store all year long. You can also add things like eggplant, onions and fresh mushrooms.



Zucchini Parmesan

Ingredients: thinly sliced zucchini, jarred spaghetti sauce (I add a touch of sugar to the sauce), any combinations of mozzarrella, parmesan and provolone cheeses



Directions: Microwave zucchini just long enough to get some of the water out and drain. In a glass dish layer sauce, zucchini and cheese. End with a layer of cheese. Microwave or bake until hot and bubbly.



Great with a salad and garlic bread!

2 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Um, yum! I'm saving this recipe for the summer, when I can get fresh veg!

Dana Fredsti said...

Lisa, I LOVE zucchini and this recipe sounds to die for...
The guy didn't know what he was missing by not asking you out again - no yummy food for him!