Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Toast

I'm reading First Among Sequels, the fifth book in Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series--or the fifth, if you count The Great Samuel Pepys Fiasco. Prominent in the series is the powerful Toast Marketing Board. I'm here to tell you that product placement works: I've been craving toast ever since I started.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I've always been a fan of toast, as a base for sandwiches, as an ingredient for casseroles or stuffing/dressing, as a delivery system for butter and/or sweet spreads or just on its own. I love toast warm and gushing with melted butter, and I love toast cold and dry and crunchy.

I love plain white-bread toast, multi-grain toast, rye toast, whole wheat toast and toasted buns. I love bread toasted in a toaster, under the broiler, in a toaster oven or on one of those don't-cry-dear-the-bread-goes-in-here-but-in-comes-back-out-all-buttered-and-toasted-here machines.

If product placement can do that for toast, what can it do for books, which also feature prominently in the Thursday Next mysteries? I could make the reader want...to....read...... Oh, yeah. Coals to Newcastle.

Anyway, if you haven't read the Thursday Next series, I highly recommend it. You'll be glad you did, and so will The Toast Marketing Board.

MA

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

LOVE the Tuesday Next books...and toast! Bread...warm and/or toasted with butter or dipped in olive oil or... or... or... yummy!!!