Friday, March 12, 2010

Meet Gayle Jetson...

I have finally, officially moved into the 21st Century. This week I've upgraded to a smart phone and Skyped! What does this have to do with food? Nothing, unless my phone has an app with restaurant menus or easy online ordering. But it has a lot to do with writing and marketing.

My venture into Skype was for an interview with Book Talk Radio. Since I couldn't make it up to New York, the interview was conducted via Skype and will air this upcoming Saturday. As the old Kenny Rogers' song Ruby puts it so well: I painted up my lips and rolled and curled my tinted hair. It was the first time I'd ever applied TV makeup for what basically amounts to a telephone call. I felt like Jane Jetson.

For those of you who don't already know - anyone? - Skype is a free video conferencing feature. It's a great tool for interviews but would also be wonderful for meeting with book clubs (I've heard of other authors doing this) and doing virtual writers' conferences or bookstore events. I learned in a hurry to put the camera up a little higher than your head. You're at a much better angle looking up than you are looking down (or, at least, I was).

Have any of you used Skype as a book promotion tool? If so, in what ways? I think it could possibly be a wonderful way to connect with readers.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Hi Gayle! I'm one of the holdouts who's been dragged into the technological age, kicking and screaming. But I can see where this would be a useful tool for writers and a boon for their reading audience. Do you plan on showing the SKYPE review on your blog or homepage?
Sherry

Gayle said...

I do. I'll put a link up as soon as I have it. I did consider hiding under the table and holding up a picture of Cameron Diaz at the Oscars so people would think that was me, but everyone would know better and I'd get sued. ;)