Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Great Seitan

I've just discovered this stuff, although it's been in use for thousands of years. Seitan is sometimes called wheat meat, because it's made from wheat gluten and has the texture of meat. In fact, some vegetarians won't eat it because it has such a meaty texture. A vegetarian friend of mine laid his daughter and a waitress out to filth for serving him a meat dish when he specifically asked for vegetarian, then had to apologize when he found out it was seitan.

Seitan (say-tahn) is made from high-gluten flour with the starch washed out of it. You can make it yourself at home, and here's an article telling all about it. This recipe sounds like making weird-flavored bread, but it's worth a try.

So far, I've put seitan in a stir-fry and in...well...another stir-fry. It was good both times, with different flavorings. I'm going to try making "beef" stew next.

As for "fatal"--I wonder what would happen if you fed someone with a wheat allergy a seitan cutlet? Fictionally, of course. I'm not a fiend. I just play one on the internet.

MA

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

WHat a great idea for a plot device...