Saturday, February 20, 2010

Write What You Eat


Does what you eat affect your writing?  Do you fortify yourself with a favorite food or drink?  Do you eat more, or less when you’re in the middle of a manuscript?  Do you pace your house and think, nursing a big mug of milky tea all the while?

I sit for a while at my desk and sketch out my writing for the day.  The pen is in my right hand, a piece of toast in my left.  Eventually, I get up, make myself a cup of tea, and go to the computer.  I type, drink my tea, make more tea, type some more, drink more tea.  I stop when I simply must pee.  Eat lunch while reading what I just typed.  Jot down some more notes.  Go back to the computer and type. Is this scene going to work?  I need to think about this.  I grab an apple and pace around the floor, gnawing, while I work out the details.  

Crunchy food is good for action scenes, and so is spicy.  Chips and salsa are a perfect snack for a chase or a fight.  Chocolate for romance, of course, or red wine.  I like a good cup of herbal tea when I’m describing nature.  If it’s autumn, something made of pumpkin evokes the season. I write a historical series set in the American Mid-Southwest that features a lot of eating and cooking big, heavy, rich meals.  I do have to research these meals, naturally, and nothing gets me in the mood to write about farm eating like a big pile of mashed potatoes and gravy.

4 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Lucky for all of us you didn't write ARSENIC AND OLD LACE. ;)

Donis Casey said...

There's a thought.

Vicki Delany said...

Nice post, Donis. I drink coffee and more coffee. I try to have a hard-boiled egg, something I can eat without knife and fork to give me some sustinance, and that's about it until I stop writing for the day. I am writing an action scene today, so will try something crunchy.

Donis Casey said...

Good luck, Vicki