Friday, February 19, 2010

The Girl Scout cookies are here!

What's so special about Girl Scout cookies? Sure, they taste great; but the stores are filled with cookies that taste great. But they don't hold the same excitement and delight for us that Girl Scout cookies do. Maybe it's because they're only available once a year. Or is it nostalgia?

Other posts this week have talked about nostalgia and food. Maybe Girl Scout cookies take us back to our childhoods. Maybe it's the feeling of helping a good cause that makes the cookies taste even better.

My neighbor Sydnie and her mom came over a few weeks ago. Sydnie, who is normally not shy at all, looked at the floor and shuffled her feet as she stood there in her little uniform with the badges on the sash.

"What do you say?" her mom asked.

"How many boxes would you like?" Sydnie asked, handing me her order form.

I ordered four boxes--Thin Mints, Tagalongs, Samoas and Do-Si-Dos. They're supposed to be here tomorrow. I don't know which I'm looking forward to more: the cookies or seeing Sydnie in her Brownie uniform again. :-)

1 comment:

Lisa Hall said...

I got my 4 boxes yesterday evening. I'm trying to pace myself!