Wednesday, February 17, 2010

All Good Things Must Come to an End







Sadly, last Saturday marked the end of my Cutie Pies Chronicles Sweet Read Valentine Book Tour. As promised, I am giving a wrap-up that includes what I ate on this tour. Despite the best of intentions, I did not get many pictures. I had a camara in my purse the whole tour, but either got too busy or simply forgot until it was too late. Anyway, here's the scoop:
Stop #1-Babycakes Cupcakery in Abingdon, VA I learned something very important with this stop. My discovery is nothing new. If you give people something, they are more likely to buy your product. I had several copies of local magazines that had articles about me, my books, my publisher, etc. During my time at Babycakes, I walked around handing out copies of these magzines. The articles helped explain my books better than I could explain them myself. Plus, I think it lent me credability to have someone else saying good things about my books.
I went home from this stop with a half-dozen cupcakes. The half-dozen was comprised of Elvis (banana cupcake with peanut butter frosting), wedding cake, chocolate, Italian cream, carrot cake and key lime/coconut. They were all delicious. The Elvis was my favorite. That combination of banana with peanut butter icing was unbeatable.
Stop #2-The FAMILY Bakery in Gate City, VA
It was sort of a nasty day, with a snow/rain mix falling ever-so-often. The weather concerned me, in that it might have discouraged folks from coming out, but it turned out to be the perfect day for coffee, soups, and baked goods for which The FAMILY Bakery is known. By lunch time the place was hoppin!
As with Babycakes, I had things to hand out to customers as they came in. Besides magazines, I also brought fliers that had a picture of my book covers on the front and a blurb about my series. The fliers were folded in half. Inside was an excerpt from chapter 1 of my first book and a teaser about the story line that follows. Talking to people about my books while they were eating would have felt intrusive. Handing them something to look at while they were eating was much easier.
This was a 3 hour signing that yielded great sales. Most that bought, purchased more than one book.
I bet you wonder what I ate. Well, spending a day with the Roberts family was like being at my grandmother's house. I was constantly being offered food. It was fabulous! Upon arrival, I had a glass mug of vanilla chai. For lunch, I ate chicken salad on a flaky made-from-scratch croissant with a side salad composed of various lettuces, dried cranberries. sugar-coated nuts, and other goodies.
They sent me home with a complimentary big cup of broccoli-cheddar soup. I also took home a box of cookies. The cookies were the size of salad plates. I had chocolate chip, double chocolate, oatmeal coconut and peanut butter.
Okay, I promised the scoop, but it was just the half-scoop. Next week, I'll tell about the last two stops.











2 comments:

Chris V. said...

Oh sounds like so much FUN and so yummy! What a great way to do a signing (and never mind the calories!) Glad it went well!

Dana Fredsti said...

Wow, what an amazingly fun (and lusciously fattening) tour!